Monday, May 14, 2007

Prelude

Sometime in April or May of 2006, I went to the California Freemason website. I had been interested in freemasonry largely because of the historical background, specifically with regards to the American Revolution and its heroes. I found a lot of information on wikipedia and elsewhere, and finally decided to see what it took.

Clicking on a link, I submitted my information and requested to be contacted. I received a letter with the phone number of the Lodge Master at Temescal Palms #314. I gave him a call (his name was Robert, although he went by Bob), and we discussed a few things. He invited me to dinner at the lodge, but I (as I'm known to do) mixed up the dates and missed out. Following this was my wedding, so I was obviously busy.

When I returned from my honeymoon, I called Bob again and explained that, with the wedding, I was unable to attend. He said it was not a problem, and to come by at the next meeting in October, which my wife and I did. I met a few Masons, ate some tasty food, and got an application.

About the same time, my wife joined Hillel, a Jewish organization at her University. She met another mason there, who wanted me to join his lodge in Riverside, but ultimately, I decided it was best to remain near my home in Corona, plus I had already met many of the local lodgefolk, and ate their food, too.

In November, I submitted my application and fees, and began the patience game. I attended the installation of officer for Order of the Eastern Star, largely to get a feel for everything, although I imagine the Blue Lodge is far different.

December passed, and then January. By February, I was beginning to wonder what had happened, but I wasn't sure if being patient was part of the process or not. Sometimes, I'm a bit paranoid, and I didn't want to ruin my chances by calling and asking, so I just waited. They hadn't cashed my check, yet, either. I started to wonder if my bank would even honor it this far out.

Finally, I received a phone call from a Brother who wanted to interview me. That particular interview never happened, but I was excited that the process had finally begun. After two other attempts, I received a call from a second Brother, Jim, who did interview my wife and I. And just before the meeting in March, the Worshipful Master Walt called me and did the second interview over the phone.

I can only assume they voted on me the following Tuesday, because a week or so later I received a letter stating I had been approved, and my initiation was for April 16th, 2007. Great! Except I had tickets and plans to a George Thorogood concert. More waiting, but the Lodge was understanding, and pushed it May 15th.

1st Degree at Temescal Palms

Brethren:

Yet another 1st Degree at Temescal Palms this Tuesday, May 15th at 7:30pm. Mr. Robert Paul will be taking that first step in Masonry, so lets make it an everlasting one and fill the house.

See You at Lodge, Brethren.

Fraternally

Walter E. McCurry PM, HA.
This was the email I received Monday morning, the 14th. I was quite anxious.

No comments: